Users are able to specify IP addresses of any third-party name servers they wish to mirror their zones, which will allow ZoneEdit to do zone transfers from said IPs. This also allows users to add additional name servers to their delegations beyond the ZoneEdit cluster, either for internal use or added redundancy.
Some advanced users like to use our interface as a master for configuration and slave external name servers to ours. For security reasons, our name servers are locked down to prevent unauthorized zone file transfers (AXFR transfers), and so this section is provided to add the IPs of authorized external name servers to access your zone file.
To enable external zone transfers for a domain, please do the following:
1. Log into your ZoneEdit account
2. Click on MANAGE
3. Under the INTEGRATIONS tab, click on ZONE TRANSFERS
4. Enter your slave name servers and click on NEXT
NOTE: Have your third party name servers slave from 126.96.36.199.
5. Confirm your changes
Some things to note:
- To de-list an external name server, simply delete it from the box.
- Remember to make sure that you list the new name servers in the NS Records section of the DNS settings.
- The serial number on any previous zone file they may have must also be lower than our own (we use EPOCH) to ensure updating.
- Once you have set this up, be sure to add the slaved name servers to the server delegations for your domain at your registrar.